What is IB MYP?
International Baccalaureate® is a world-renowned educational program with specialized teacher training and adopts a progressive educational philosophy that is in line with Bodwell’s mission and vision. It uses an innovative instructional approach and methods in teaching and learning.
The IB Middle Years Program (MYP) is a five-year program for students aged 11-16. Bodwell offers the final two years of MYP for our Grades 8 and 9 students.
- IB learners are positively challenged to think critically and to learn in a flexible environment crossing disciplinary, cultural and national boundaries.
- IB students take responsibility for their own learning and understand how knowledge itself is constructed.
- MYP is a challenging framework that encourages students to connect their studies to the real world.
- MYP comprises eight subject groups, providing a broad and balanced education for early adolescents.
- The program aims to help students develop their emerging sense of self and responsibility in their community.
- The curriculum builds personal understanding through active learning practices.
- The MYP curriculum develops inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who are motivated to succeed.
A Global Perspective
- MYP strives to develop students who will build a better world through intercultural understanding and respect.
- Students are more culturally aware through the development of a second language
- Students learn to engage with people in an increasingly globalized, rapidly changing world.
Why MYP at Bodwell?
IB schools share a common philosophy—a commitment to high-quality, challenging, international education that Bodwell believes is important for its students. New admissions standards and supports are in place to welcome new students and those who need extra English instruction to fully participate in our IB program.
Through IB-MYP, Bodwell strives to build a solid academic foundation for Grades 8-9 students whose goal is to be admitted to the highest-ranking universities around the world.
From IB-MYP to BC 10-12
IB-MYP is recognized by the BC Ministry of Education. Students who complete MYP can seamlessly transition to Grades 10 and onward in the BC secondary curriculum.
The IB learner profile
Similarly, Bodwell aims to develop learners who are:
A Diverse Community
Our students come from around the world providing an ideal setting for intercultural understanding and development of a global perspective.